Taking the Slow-Coach to Book-Nerd Land

You know those ceiling fans that only work when they are wound up to level 5 on the regulator? The levels 2, 3, and 4 are basically the same on these fans –blowing air out of your mouth would cool the room faster. If you turn it to 1, the fan stops altogether. So then, you think to yourself, ‘you know what? I’m just going to turn it to 5.’ Now your entire house flies out, there are papers everywhere like a post-apocalyptic movie scene, your hair is messed up.

That’s me as a reader. I too (approximately) have 5 reading settings.


Setting 5 – My fellow English Literature students know what this is like. This is for when I have to read Goethe’s The Sorrows of Young Werther, Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye, Albee’s Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and that excerpt from Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov; all in the same semester. 120 pages and 1 hour in, my brain has stopped absorbing anything, but my eyes are absolutely flying across the lines.

You want me to critically analyse George and Martha as a microcosm of the American society? Just forget about it. I have now started skipping half the sentences, probably skipping to the next one mid-sentence. If Holden has become a Catcher in the Rye and that absolutely ‘killed him,’ I wouldn’t know, because I am flying so fast I can’t see the rye and I don’t know what a catcher is. There are papers everywhere and my hair is messy. Yes, the fan is too fast.

 

Setting 1 – This is for when I have huge lists of books on my Goodreads shelves, but I just don’t read any of it. I buy them, yes. But I don’t read them.

 

Settings 2,3, and 4 are what I’m usually at. I start reading but now I don’t remember why this Brenda lady said that she wants a croissant so I have to re-read the previous page. I read the first line and I understand it. I read the second line, then the third, and then the fourth. But now I have forgotten what the second line was and I catch my eyes lingering backwards through the lines.

I know that some of these sentences mean something deep, but I can’t muster the ability to understand them. Is Brenda and her croissant a microcosm of the American society? Maybe, but it’s too much for me to comprehend right now. And I can’t continue reading until I find out if it is. The problem is, I need to understand everything, all of the time. But most of the stories I have read expect me to be uncertain for a while.

There is another problem: my brain does not stop chattering. Recently, I came across the words ‘this behooves me.’ My eyes wanted me to move forward but my brain was hyper fixating on how the word ‘behooves’ looks like if the Monopoly logo guy, with his top hat and walking stick, wore comically small specks and discussed a literary classic in solemn tones. (Welcome to Oddly Specific Imageries with yours truly.)

 

I used to not be like this. In school, I would read almost a book a week. I would borrow a book from the library, maybe a Famous Five or a Secret Seven; I would sit cross-legged on my bed and read. I would first sit with my back upright, but then slowly slouch into a weird moon-shaped position. Before I know it I would be lying down and reading, my concentration unwavering. The school librarian knew me by name. I would have a book for school and a book for the bus; I would eat with the book next to my plate; I would walk into doors because I was busy reading a book. (I still walk into doors though, so I am beginning to think it might have not been the book after all.)

Now, on bad days, I worry that there are so many books I want to read and there is just one me – who for being such a book lover, is also a slow coach. I notice that many of my ardent-reader friends have also felt this at some point. And so, I take heart. I am crawling back to reading the way I used to, one little word at a time. Maybe I’ll write a post on how I’m doing that in another post.

 

Are you a fast or a slow reader? Have you ever felt this way? Let me know in the comments.

 

 

Comments

  1. Can't relate to the extreme book lover part cause pretty lazy but loved absolutely every way u described each image. Perhaps this is my way of becoming a reader, 'One little word at a time, from a 1 to a 2.
    And to answer your question, am a pretty slow reader who ironically ended up taking English literature.
    Love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we got this! Let's read little by little. Taking up Literature was quite an irony for both of us, true. Feels good to have company. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I maintain a reading habit

The Shark in my Tank: Finding the balance between challenging myself and caring for my mental health

Why I decided to blog